Basic steps for specific types of emergencies
- Take cover where you are- under a desk or table.
- If in a lab, turn off gas burners and evacuate.
Tornado or heavy flood/storm
- When warning sirens sound or upon direction from Campus Safety, evacuate to the designated interior assembly area.
- Stay until given the “all-clear” from Campus Safety or liaison.
Check CC website or 875-SHUT (7488) for cancellations and directions for faculty/staff.
Fire or explosion
- Sound the fire alarm.
- Evacuate the building to outside assembly area.
- Call 911 and Campus Safety at 875-7315.
- Notify emergency personnel/Campus Safety of anyone you suspect is still in building.
Hazardous material spill
- Report any spill or offensive odor in labs to Campus Safety.
- For major incident, immediately call 911.
- Evacuate the building in which a spill has occurred- do not try to clean it up.
- If in building next to a spill, close doors and windows and seal gaps with wet cloth/clothes; stay away from windows and close blinds in case of explosion; breathe through wet cloth if vapors are present; remain in protected interior areas where vapors are reduced.
- Call Campus Safety who will notify police and other offices.
- If a threat is received by phone, keep caller on the line as long as possible; enlist help so 911 and Campus Safety can be called immediately; write down all information gained, such as:
- When is bomb supposed to explode?
- Where is bomb now?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it? What will cause it to explode?
- Who placed the bomb? Is the caller with an organization?
- Why is college being bombed?
- What is the caller’s address?
- If you know an intruder is on campus, call 911 and Campus Safety immediately.
- If indoors, stay in room (behind locked door if possible) away from windows.
- If outdoors, take refuge in nearby building.
- Wait for police to arrive.
- If you suspect an intruder on campus, stay in room, call 911- don’t go and look.
- Do not confront or try to apprehend intruder.