Academic Assessment Mission
To advance Columbia College’s mission of exemplary teaching, the Office of Academic Assessment exists to:
- support faculty in conducting continuous cycles of measurement and making data-informed decisions to improve student learning,
- disseminate information about best assessment practices to enhance organizational development,
- accumulate, maintain, and communicate data to provide evidence that students have achieved course and program learning outcomes, and that accreditation expectations are met.
Columbia College endorses the main tenets of the Higher Learning Commission Statement on Assessment of Student Learning.
- Students will learn what they need to know to attain personal success and fulfill their public responsibilities in the 21st century.
- Faculty will have the fundamental role in developing and sustaining systematic assessment of student learning.
- All assessment strategies will include explicit public statements regarding the knowledge, skills and attitudes students should possess as a result of completing course and program requirements.