Columbia College Study Abroad Scholarship
Fall application deadline (taking applications for Spring, Summer and Fall 2015): Oct. 21, 2016.
Spring application deadline (taking applications for Summer and Fall 2015): Feb. 24, 2017.
Current full-time students who are planning to attend an approved study abroad program may be eligible for a study abroad award of varying amounts. Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, at least 15 semester hours of coursework at Columbia College and be able to serve as a Columbia College Global Ambassador at a CC campus following their return.
Applications and questions should be directed to Dr. Brian Kessel.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Have a 3.0 GPA with at least 15 hours of completed coursework at Columbia College at the time of application.
- Be a full-time student planning to participate in an approved program from Columbia College or another provider for at least three hours of academic credit
- Be returning to Columbia College for at least one semester or two sessions (nationwide) immediately following their experience.
What are my obligations as an award recipient?
You will be required to serve as a Columbia College Global Ambassador while abroad and following your return. During their experience, scholarship holders must document their experiences, such as through a journal, blog, photos or video that could be posted on the Columbia College Study Abroad website. Scholarship holders are expected to provide 20 hours of service to the Study Abroad Coordinator promoting Study Abroad to other students. Nationwide students will coordinate activities with the Study Abroad Coordinator and their Site Directors.
What will the award pay for? How much will it be?
The award can be used to pay for tuition and program fees associated with any approved study abroad program. The funds can be used to pay other institutions or providers for their services. Funds may be used for semester or summer study. Award amounts will range in value from $500-$1500 for summer study and up to $5000 for semester study. The number and amount of awards will depend on the quantity and quality of applications.
How do I apply?
Applicants should submit a completed Study Abroad application, a letter of reference from a faculty member and a 500-750 word essay that addresses the following:
- What inspired their choice of a study abroad destination,
- How their specific study abroad program will advance their academic, professional and personal goals and
- Why they would be an effective Columbia College Global Ambassador. Here the applicant might address relevant skills, attributes or ideas they could bring to the position.
Essays should clearly demonstrate that the applicant has given careful thought to the place, program and responsibilities associated with the scholarship. Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need and those without prior study abroad experience. Applications will be reviewed once each semester.