Teacher certification program
Admission to the program . . . what's required?
Official admission to the teacher certification program (TCP) is required by the Department of Education for all students seeking a certification recommendation to the Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (DESE). Students should seek admission to the TCP soon after completing six hours of education coursework with Columbia College (the six hours must include EDUC 100 and 300, or EDUC 505 for post-baccalaureate students).
Admission to the TCP is a prerequisite for many upper-level education courses. See course descriptions for ones that include "Admission to the Teacher Certification Program" as a prerequisite.
The TCP packet of information will be reviewed during a meeting of the EDUC 100 (or EDUC 505) course. Tammy Mann, the college's certification officer, will discuss application materials in the meeting and answer any questions about admission requirements to the TCP. Students who transfer in EDUC 100 (or EDUC 505) or were not present for the class meeting date when the material was reviewed, will need to schedule an appointment with Tammy. She may be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at (573) 875-7632 or (800) 231-2391, ext. 7632.
Items required for admission to the TCP are listed on the TCP Checklist and consist of the following items:
- Request for Admission to the Teacher Certification Program form
- GPA Worksheet. This is an Excel document. Students who are unable to open this document should contact the Education office at EducatorPrep@ccis.edu. (Directions for GPA worksheet) Note: Section C (Content Area) requires a minimum of 21 hours but some certifications will require more. Please refer to your certification checklist and/or contact your advisor.
- Guideline Agreement form
- Statement of Responsibility form
- Documentation of MoGEA (Missouri General Education Assessment) score (post-baccalaureate students are exempt) This assessment is available September 2013. http://www.mo.nesinc.com/
- Documentation of MEP (Missouri Educator Profile) (This assessment is taken twice; once for entry to TCP and again prior to student teaching) This assessment is available September 2013. http://www.mo.nesinc.com/
- Documentation of MoPTA (Missouri Pre-Service Teacher Assessment) (This assessment is taken twice; once for entry to TCP and again during student teaching) This assessment is available September 2014. http://www.mo.nesinc.com/
- Two letters of Recommendation from Columbia College faculty; at least one must be from Columbia College Education Department faculty.