The Education Department has a two-fold mission: To prepare students for the teaching profession and to better equip current teachers.
"Where do I start?" It's as easy as 1-2-3!
#1 - Choose your program:
If you're not sure which program would be best for you, try this exercise:
- Are you pursuing teacher certification along with a bachelor's degree? If so, the BEACON or DAYSTAR program might work for you.
- Do you already have a bachelor's degree but want to obtain a Missouri teaching certificate? Then check our the MAT Post-Baccalaureate or the Undergraduate Post-Baccalaureate programs.
- Has a school district already hired you to teach in a secondary (high school) classroom while you take courses to fulfill Missouri state requirements? If so, you might be eligible for our Alternative Certification Program.
- Are you already a certificated teacher but would like to add on other certification areas like Special Reading, Special Education, or Gifted along with a master's degree? Then you might be interested in the "add-on" certificate program option.
- Do you have a teaching certificate and wish to pursue a master's degree? You could choose from our Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Master of Education:Educational Leadership (M.Ed) degrees. (Note: The MAT degree is geared toward those who are already teachers but a teaching certificate is not required for admission.)
#2 - Apply to Columbia College
Once you've determined the program that fits your needs, it's time to apply to Columbia College.
- Undergraduate programs (like the BEACON, DAYSTAR, and Undergraduate Post-Bacc programs) require an undergraduate application through with your campus location. [The DAYSTAR program also requires a separate application and participation in Scholarship Day.]
- Graduate programs (like the MAT, M.Ed, "add-on" certificates, Alternative Certification or the MAT Post-Baccalaureate programs) require a Graduate Studies application.
#3 - Visit with your advisor
Once you're admitted, you will have access to an advisor who will help you plan out your program. You're not in this alone! It's recommended that you visit with your advisor often to make sure you remain on track.
Columbia College offers the teacher certification programs through the main campus in Columbia, Mo., as well as through three Nationwide Campuses: Lake Ozark, Rolla, and St. Louis, Missouri. The MAT and M.Ed. degrees are available through the Columbia, Mo., and Online Campuses.
Certification along with a bachelor's degree.
Certification, bachelor's degree, and MAT degree in an accelerated program.
- Lead Teacher
- School Administrator
- Curriculum Developer
- and more...
- Mild/Moderate Cross Categorical Special Education
- Reading Specialist
- and more...
Have a degree in art, biology, business, chemistry, language, social studies or math and have a job opportunity prior to certification?
See our program
Already hold a bachelor's degree? See our certification programs: